Construction projects, whether small or large often generate disputes. This is inevitable as different parties, often with opposing interests, seek to build an end product all whilst navigating around a plethora of issues that can arise and manifest themselves in claims either during the building works or after they are completed.
As part of one of the largest dedicated construction legal teams in the UK, together with our internationally based teams we are experienced in advising upon and helping to deliver complex and high profile projects. The contentious construction team, including a retired TCC Judge, have the technical ability and experience to join the clients project team to provide live project advice and to guide the client through to a successful conclusion, whether that be through an agreement of the parties or a formal dispute resolution procedure. This approach applies equally whether acting for developers, major international and domestic contractors, consultants and public sector bodies such as central and local government, and social housing providers.
This unrivalled client base and breadth of experience ensures that we are at the forefront of day to day contentious issues at ground level, assisting and advising our clients on how best to minimise risk and avoid disputes. Our experience extends across all the major contract forms (JCT, NEC, ICE, FIDIC, PPC and GC Works) as well as PFI and bespoke contracts.
Whatever the nature of the project or the form of contract, we work with our clients to help avoid disputes when projects or services are becoming problematic. We provide advice and solutions on a day to day basis but even with the best efforts there are times when a dispute cannot be avoided. It is then that you need a legal adviser who can see all the angles, close things down as quickly and effectively as possible, and who always have one eye on the bigger picture including the real cost, not just in financial terms.
- Early dispute avoidance, dispute avoidance clinics and advice on conflict management to prevent disputes arising escalating
- Negotiation and mediation, conduct of structured negotiations and mediation for claims in the UK and abroad
- Adjudication as advisor, pleader and advocate
- Extensive experience conducting pre-action proceedings and litigation in the Technology and Construction Court, the Court of Appeal and are set to appear in the Supreme Court later this year. We also conduct proceedings before the DIFC and ADGM Courts
- Conducting domestic and international arbitrations under all rules including ICC, ICE, DIFC, LICA, DIAC, ADCCAC, BCDR-AAA, CIMAR and UNCITRAL